Thursday, April 8, 2010

this gives me peace.

John Bloom on Psalm 88 (via John Piper's blog)

"This song is a cry for help to a God who seems angry and distant. Admittedly, that doesn't seem very encouraging at first. I mean, if I had consulted God about songwriting and what his hymns should include, I would have taken this one to him and said, "This psalm needs at least a verse or two of some hopeful promise. And, really, the last word of the song shouldn't be 'darkness.’ Way too heavy."

But God wisely didn't consult me. He knows there are moments for saints when things look so bleak that all we can do is cry a lament to him. We cry, "Where are you? I know you're there and I know there's light, but I can't see it! Please, please show me!"

...And this Psalm is a gift from God to his children. It's a song for them to sing during the desolate moments, which one day will be swallowed up in unending light."

I'm going to read this Psalm. This article reminds me of a Proverb. I'll have to look for it.



(So I'll go ahead and admit it's kinda weird that my blog has anything from inspiring fashion pictures to Bible verses to pictures documenting my real life. But I guess it is just an accurate glimpse of who I am.)

No comments:

Post a Comment